Tuesday, March 27, 2007

An Acquired Taste

I don't remember the first time I tried lobster, but I remember the first time I liked it. There was an annual cookout my family went to and I'm sure each year I got a token bite of lobster - if I was willing to take it. The thought of eating that slimy white meat from those red steaming bugs was just too much for my little stomach. So each time I would say, "No thanks, I'll have a hot dog!" Now I can't imagine choosing a hot dog over lobster if offered.

It's about the same with tithing - bringing 10% of our income to the church. The first time someone asked me, I said, "No thanks, I'll try something a bit smaller." It took a long time of making tentative offerings and occasional bigger gifts to get to the point of trusting God enough to bring the whole tithe. Now, I really love it and find that God provides more than enough for us. Perhaps your experience will be different, but I know God will be faithful. The point it, you cannot know until you try.

In 2007, we will be having Tithing Sundays on the fifth Sunday of each month.
We ask you to try to bring a tenth of your income and put it joyfully in the plate and pray that God will provide. If that simply sounds like more than you can do, just try a taste of moving in that direction. I know God will be faithful. Soon, may find the acquired taste is something you can't do without.

Finally, tithing is about your relationship to God, not the financial needs of the church. Please take some time to pray about where God may be leading you. Here are a few of the many scriptures about stewardship and tithing scriptures to study: Deuteronomy 14:22-29; 2 Chronicles 31:4-10; Malachi 3:10.

No comments: